Monday, February 18, 2013

Skrew Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
So, an updated on what the band is up to these days? Well.........between finishing up the mix on this record and rehearsing as well as writing new material there is not too much going on. Ha! Seriously though, we stay super busy. We are also in the process of putting together some ideas for some video work, much of that will depend on the mixes though.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer material and how it differs from the earlier releases?
Some people have told me that they think thas this album that we are doing now is kind of an amalgam of much of what SKREW has done in the past. I don't really see it that way but maybe that's because I;m too close to it. I think of all the stuff SKREW has done in the past in someways its closer to the first album than any of the others. I think its definitely a metal record.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the newer music explores?
This record is really mostly about how we are all slaves. I hope it will inspire listeners to investigate the ideas on the record. Ideas like the fact that we are raised to believe that we are so lucky to live in the US and that we have the best quality of life and the most freedom etc, which is all a steaming pile of lies. Same with the idea of religion. The fact that so many people claim to live their lives according to bronze age fairy tales is really fucking scary to me.

4. When can we expect a new album?
I hope that the record will be realeased by summer because we really wanna hit the road. There have been so many things that have forced us to postpone and postpone again that its almost comical.

5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
The bands name?
Well..........I think when we first decided to use the name, it was
about being twisted. We were doing something that nobody was doing at the time.

6. The band broke up for awhile, what was the cause of the split and the decision to reform the band?
I pulled the plug on the band years ago just because I was burned out on doing it. I wanted to do some other stuff which I did. The whole time people would ask about the possibility of a new SKREW record but I just wasn't into the idea of it until recently. I think the biggest difference has been finding a group of guys that were into doing the same thing I was into doing.


7. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
I don't know what would be considered the best shows that we have done. We almost always have a blast playing.

8. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
We do hope to get out on the road after the record comes out but we really need to focus on getting that done first. We've had some interesting offers but the record has really been our first priority.

9. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the reunion by fans of industrial and extreme metal?
To be honest, I have been pretty surprised at the level of enthusiasm. It's interesting to see but to be honest that's not why I do what I do. I like to create and this just happens to be what I;m doing right now.

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases? I have no idea. I mean, I seriously doubt your are going to get a Country record out of SKREW but I don't think I'd be too interested in repeating myself either. You never know.

11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? I don't know if any bands have actually influenced SKREW per se. Bands that were influential on my guitar playing in terms of learning how to play guitar was like Black Flag, the Ramones, and Killing Joke. I don't think you will hear any of that in the SKREW stuff though. As for stuff that I am listening to right now? Well, it's kind of all over the place but in term of Metal I would have to say that the latest Marduk record Serpent Sermon is awesome.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Outside of music my interests are also creative, writing, film, and art. I stay pretty informed in terms of politics as well.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
No final words  but I would like to thank you for your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment